Instruction For Creating Your Comma Delimited File
The file you create for a batch order import (i.e., via the “Upload Orders from a File” module of DRS Portal) needs to be in a “Standard Comma Delimited File” format with each field separated by a comma, with or without quotes around any of the fields.
- Each order may have several lines of the same information, changing only: field #30 – the “Part Number”, field #31 -“Part Description” and field #32 – “Quantity Ordered”.
- You can use any program having database functions (e.g., Access, Excel, etc.) to generate your upload file. It will have the ability to map the fields in order to generate the file format we require. Call your account representative at 760-233-3770 if you have any questions.
- You MUST use the STANDARD SHIPPING NAMES below. The standard names consist of the Carrier (USPS, FedEx, or UPS) and the shipping method (Next Day, Ground, First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, First Class Mail International, etc.) SEE STANDARDIZED SHIPPING METHODS below. When “naming” the file for your batch orders, please use only alpha-numeric characters (no special characters or spaces), a dot, and 001 for the first order of the day, 002 for second order of that day, etc. IF you are using a spreadsheet like Excel you must save the file as a “.csv” file. (a comma delimited file) After saving the file exit Excel, then rename the file extension to “.001”.
- A suggested format for naming your upload files would be a 2 or 3 letter client ID followed by the date of the order upload. The uploaded file could thus be named: XX20120919.001 (this format keeps the files in date order), with XX being the client ID, followed by the year, month, and date, followed by the “dot” 001 for the first order of the day. The first digit after the dot must always be a zero. That is how the upload program recognizes the file as an upload file.
- Please avoid using the following characters in any data (field) which will be imported into DRS Portal, or on a mailing list: , , ., ~, !, #, $, %, ^, &, *, +, <, >, ?, and / . These are all special characters that will cause errors in your orders. The following two characters can be used and are appropriate in virtually all data base imports: – (dash), and _ (underline). Please avoid all other special characters in any field of data being imported.
- Your data should be entered into your upload file in the following field order. The numbers in parenthesis are the maximum field lengths. If there is no data for a field, then that field should still be delimited (separated from the next field) with a comma. Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). “Customer” refers to “Sold To” on your invoice, “Client” refers to DRS shipping client.
- Please remove all “Column Header Labels before uploading you file.
See Example Orders
1. Customer Number* – (9) Numbers only, no spaces, special, or alpha characters.(please use the same number as the order number.)
2. Client Order Number* – (9) Numbers only, no spaces, special, or alpha characters.
3. Ship Method* – (40) [See our list of our standardized shipping methods below]
4. Account # (40)
5. Special Instructions (1,000) “Any” Special Instructions to DRS.
6. Customer PO # (20)
7. Customer Contact Person – (20)
8. Client Data Entry Person* – (20)
9. Customer Company Name* – (30)
10. Address 1* – (20)
11. Address 2 – (30)
12. (NOT USED)
13. City* – (20)
14. State* – (2)
15. Zip Code-Postal Code * – (10) (“Format” Zip Codes so the leading zero(s) appear.)**
16. Country/US Territory* – (20) (Complete Name of Country – eg. “United States”)
17. Customer Phone Number – (20)
18. Customer E-mail Address – (20)
19. Ship to Company Name* – (40)
20. Ship to Contact Person – (40)
21. Ship to Address 1* – (40)
22. Ship to Address 2 – (40)
23. (NOT USED)
24. Ship to City* – (40)
25. Ship to State* – (2)
26. Ship to Zip Code* – (10) (“Format” Zip Codes so the leading zero(s) appear.)**
27. Ship to Country/Province* – (40) (Complete Name of Country – eg. “United States”)
28. (NOT USED)
29. (NOT USED)
30. SKU/Part Number* – (20)
31. SKU/Item Description – (30) [Required if you want the customer to see what they purchased.]
32. Quantity Ordered* – (4)
33. (NOT USED)
34. (NOT USED)
35. (NOT USED)
36. (NOT USED)
37. COD Amount – (40)
38. (NOT USED)
39. Serial Number – (40) [normally used for software licenses]
40. Version Description – (40) [normally used for software licenses]
41. License Description – (40) [normally used for software licenses]
42. Label Item Number – (40) [normally used for software licenses]
** Zip/Postal Codes – If you are using a spreadsheet use TEXT fields. With
If you are using Excel follow these steps: FORMAT >> CELLS >> SPECIAL >> ZIP CODE
Standardized Shipping Methods
DRS only uses Standard Names for the services thus for FEDEX we only use the “exact names” to avoid errors:
- USPS First-Class Mail
- USPS Parcel Post
- USPS Priority Mail
- USPS Media Mail
- USPS First-Class Mail International
- USPS Priority Mail International
- USPS Express Mail International
- USPS Global Express Guaranteed
- USPS Global Express Guaranteed
- UPS Ground
- UPS 3 Day Select
- UPS 2nd Day Air
- UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.
- UPS Next Day Air Saver
- UPS Next Day Air
- UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.
- UPS Standard Canada
- UPS Worldwide Express
- UPS Worldwide Expedited
- UPS Saturday Delivery
- FedEx Home Delivery
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Express Saver
- FedEx 2 Day
- FedEx International Priority
- FedEx International Economy
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx SameDay
- FedEx Saturday Delivery
- DRS Truck
- Client Will-Call
- Customer Pick-Up
From the FedEx site: (9/16/2009)
- Fastest Delivery time based on flight availability FedEx SameDay®
- Overnight Delivery by 8:00 or 8:30 am** FedEx First Overnight®
- Delivery by 10:30 am*** FedEx Priority Overnight®
- Delivery by 3:00 pm*** FedEx Standard Overnight®
- 2 Business Days Delivery by 4:30 pm*** FedEx 2Day®
- 3 Business Days Delivery by 4:30 pm*** FedEx Express Saver®
- 1-5 Business Days* Delivery day based on distance to destination FedEx Ground®
Delivery day based on distance to destination FedEx Home Delivery®